What will this article teach you?
You will learn how to connect your iPhone or iPad to your macOS device in order to analyze audio loudness from your iOS device.
What devices can you use?
This technique should work with iPhone, or iPad and any macOS device like Macbook Air, Macbook Pro, iMac, Mac mini, Mac Pro…
Can you analyze YouTube live streams?
Yes, you can! In fact, you can analyze audio from any app on your iPhone/iPad. For example, you can open Spotify, and analyze audio from it too.
How to set up the devices?
Here is the 6-step process on how to set up the devices:
1. Connect devices via USB cable
2. Open Launchpad and search for the Audio MIDI Setup app.
3. Open the Audio MIDI Setup app and enable iPhone/iPad. (You will need to do this step every time you connect your iOS device and you need to do that before you open the Youlean Loudness Meter 2 app)
4. Open the Youlean Loudness Meter 2 app and then open the app preferences
5. Set iPhone/iPad as an input device
6. Play audio on your iPhone/iPad and start analyzing
A couple of things you need to know
First, you don’t need to adjust the volume on your iOS device which is awesome.
A downside to this method is that you won’t be able to listen to audio that is playing on your iOS device. I plan to add an option to monitor audio from the desktop Youlean Loudness Meter 2 app. Should I do that? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Update – April 24, 2022
You can now enable audio passthrough in the latest V2.5.0 BETA.